First a disclaimer – I am no audiophile so I do not normally search for software for music creation. However, every now and then, a friend comes to me with a new find and this time, it is called Hydrogen. On its website, it is described as "an advanced drum machine for GNU/Linux. It's main goal is to bring professional yet simple and intuitive pattern-based drum programming."
Some of its highlighted features are:
- Pattern-based sequencer, with unlimited number of patterns and ability to chain patterns into a song.
- Up to 64 per pattern with individual level per event and variable pattern length.
- 32 instrument tracks with volume, mute, solo, pan capabilities.
- Multi layer support for instruments (up to 16 samples for each instrument).
- Ability to import/export song files.
- Unique human velocity, human time, pitch and swing functions.
- Multiple patterns playing at once.
So hurry now and try to create a beat or two. :)