Now here is something cool to do if you have some spare time.
You can run Linux using only your cd rom! ………. Cool..Awsome demonstration on the flexability and power of Linux!!!!!
Now you can sell that 1.5 gig hard drive for gas money…and still be able to connect to the internet :)
This works great for recovering data from a hard drive….also you can access the internet if your connected to it from a network.
Download the: dynebolic-0.3.iso.gz
only 47mb xwindows based(blackbox)
I unzipped it……burned it to a cd as an image……popped it into my cdrom…..rebooted from the cdrom …. and presto Linux is up and running………..WITHOUT using the harddrive at all!! :)
Take the CD back out and reboot and your back into your normal system…. doesn't mess with the hard drive (unless you mount it to do Data recovery etc.)
Now you can run Linux on your windows machines without even installing it! Great if you want to see a little of what Linux can do! This CD based distro auto-configured all the settings….I just had to tell it to use DCHP to connect through my lan….. here's an excerpt from the website:
* easy to use
* no need to install or to change any data on the harddisk
* yes, it will work even if you have Micro$oft Winblows(tm) installed
* automatic hardware recognition and configuration
* network cards
* sound cards
* BTTV video cards
* USB devices
* ready to use desktop including common netsurfing tools
* includes MuSE 0.6.2 to stream audio on the net
* includes FreeJ 0.2.1 and Hasciicam 0.9 for realtime video effects
* includes Mozilla 0.9.4 to surf on the net
* stable and reliable GNU/Linux environment
* i586 CPU (Pentium MMX / AMD K6) or better
* IDE CD-ROM reader
* 64Mb of RAM
* PS/2 mouse
Worked great….burning 4 copies to give away to some of my friends!!
They won't believe that they can run their computer without a hard drive!
There are several other CD Rom-run versions of Linux that don't use the harddrive…….. another is Linux Care… but this one really works great….I have tried 3 total…. and am looking at the Mandrake based one on sourceforge…..downloading as i'm typing :)
But it's over 600 mb so the verdicts still out on that one.
I'm using the DyneBolic linux cd now as I type….works great!
CAN WINDOWS DO THAT? :)
CAN YOU HACK A DRIVELESS BOX??—